The following Courses are open to volunteers. We need facilitators for each class.
by Joyce Hertzoff
A Call for Advisors
Would you like to be an advisor for current incoming students for the MFA program? All, or almost all of you, were assigned one when you started working on your MFA certificate at WVU. We saw a large influx of students during the last year or two. Currently, there are only a few active advisors to be contact points for those students. If you have taken MFA 2000, you learned additional ways to navigate the site and many other things you need to know to advise them. But most importantly, you need to want to help new students find their way. This is what I do as an advisor:
1. Contact assigned new students by phone or email.
2. Chat with them, ask them questions and answer theirs.
3. Record their answers.
4. Provide a contact point for their future questions.
5. Encourage them in their MFA journey.
6. Make sure they know where to find answers about the program, including requirements.
A follow-up message includes links to important information.
Not all that much, right? Keeping track of your advisees is easy. You’ll learn a lot about WVU as you help them. It’s been a pleasure for me to get to know so many new students from all over the world and watch their progress through the program. You’ll enjoy it as much as I do. Give it a try.